BCD

For general Flowcode discussion that does not belong in the other sections.
DAVIDJOINER
http://meble-kuchenne.info.pl

BCD

Post by DAVIDJOINER »

Hi Ben

Can you advise simplest flowchart way to break down large integer values ie 144000000

into a separate byte array as i need to send serially to another device in bcd format

Ie re above example of 144000000
ie byte[0] = bcd of 1
ie byte[1] = bcd of 4
ie byte[2] = bcd of 4
etc etc

Also
The reverse of this ie receive in bcd and convert to a long integer

PS using DSCPIC

An example would be great

Many thanks in advance
David

mnfisher
Valued Contributor

Re: BCD

Post by mnfisher »

Hi David,

Why not convert to a string and pass that using the conversion routines built in. BCD (binary coded decimal) would suggest two digits per byte sent and was used to make displaying numbers in decimal easy (each 4 bits is a digit) - the dibble-dabble algorithm does this (and can be found on the matrix forum)

Martin

Steve-Matrix
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve-Matrix »

Hi David,

If you are in control of both sides of the conversion, then there's no need to use BCD and things would be more efficient and easier to code to simply convert the large integer into its upper/lower byte values.

If you 'think' of the number in hexadecimal, this is trivial. In your example, 144000000 = 0x08954400. Each 2 hex digits comprises of a single byte, so this naturally splits up into the following 4 bytes: 0x08, 0x95, 0x44 and 0x00. 4 bytes can represent any unsigned number between 0 and 4,294,967,295 (i.e. 0x00000000 to 0xFFFFFFFF) - in Flowcode we call this a "ULONG" integer type.

To split this up, simply use masking and bit shifting. The following example can be put into a calculation icon:

Code: Select all

byte_array[0] = ulong AND 0xFF
byte_array[1] = (ulong AND 0xFF00) >> 8
byte_array[2] = (ulong AND 0xFF0000) >> 16
byte_array[3] = (ulong AND 0xFF000000) >> 24
and reconstituting is also trivial, again in a single icon:

ulong = byte_array[0]
ulong = ulong + (byte_array[1] << 8)
ulong = ulong + (byte_array[2] << 16)
ulong = ulong + (byte_array[3] << 24)
Note that none of this requires the ulong to be 'written' in hexadecimal or for you be converting or displaying it as such. Any integer in the program is not defined or restricted by its visual (i.e. human-readable) format. The computer or micro running your code 'sees' every integer as a series of 1's and 0's. So don't worry about me mentioning hexadecimal (but as a programmer, it is very useful to see integers as hexadecimals because this better represents the 1's and 0's that a computer 'sees').

I've not checked that these work. But I think they should.

OTOH, if you do require specific BCD conversion, that is not too difficult either. It's just more wasteful in terms of effort, processing speed and memory. You would only need to do this if you were not in control of the other side of the conversion and were forced to convert to BCD.

HTH,
Steve.

DAVIDJOINER

Post by DAVIDJOINER »

Hi

Many thanks to both of you for the quick responses I will investigate both today and will revert

Note Unfortunately i am not in control of both sides of the communication hence the request for help with the BCD

David

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Hi David.
When I created RTC Flowchart, to convert from decimal to BCD I used

Seconds = (Seconds / 10 << 4) + (Seconds MOD 10)
As an alternative for conversions from Ulong to bytes, you could use the Type conversions component (with example) for increased efficiency.
For Ulong to byte conversions, I also used the method I posted here.
Martin

DAVIDJOINER

Post by DAVIDJOINER »

Folks

Thanks for all your help / suggestions

As i cannot change both ends I had to use BCD.

But as i already had a string representation of the long integer for other reasons in the program

i chose the first suggestion IE manipulate a string

Able to do this very simple in circa 8 lines in a calculation box within 1 loop

Also did virtually the reverse to receive data

So now all working fine :)

As a matter of interest this was to allow me to communicate to a XIEGU Transceiver using ICOM BCD CAT protocol

David