App Developer and USB HID

Discuss PC Developer and Web Developer projects and features here.
p.erasmus
Valued Contributor
http://meble-kuchenne.info.pl

App Developer and USB HID

Post by p.erasmus »

Hi Team.

Question is it somehow possible to connect a custom controller to APP Developer to HId USB or is only UART coms with a converter possible such as on the ARDUINO boartd UART to USB with FTDI Serial to usb converter.

Thanks again for all help and pointers :)
Regards Peter - QME Electronics

BenR
Matrix Staff

Re: App Developer and USB HID

Post by BenR »

Hello,

If the custom controller is pressing buttons such as standard keyboard buttons then you can use the keyboard component in app developer to collect the user input.

If your using analogue inputs then currently there is no way of doing this but might make for an easy addition if required.

p.erasmus
Valued Contributor

Post by p.erasmus »

Hi Ben Thank you for the comments

It would be nice with we could connect a custom controller to HID with App Dveloper I would vote for an addtion if not to hard to do :D :D

BenR
Matrix Staff

Post by BenR »

Hi Peter,

Out of interest what sort of controller are you using. It looks like Windows has lots of libraries for dealing with XBOX type controllers but atm I'm not finding much else on other controller types. There is a legacy joystick library which I could dive into if you're not using an XBOX controller.

So you know you can do DLL calls in Flowcode using the techniques described here.
https://www.matrixtsl.com/blog/expandin ... sing-dlls/

This documents the Windows Joystick API which we would call inside the DLL, it's not something I am too familiar with but given time I might be able to cobble something together.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... /joysticks

Another option might be to use a Wii controller via an API Slave which should already work nicely in app developer.

p.erasmus
Valued Contributor

Post by p.erasmus »

Hi Ben ,

Thank you for all your wisdom,
We are currently in the planning phase of this project once I have more definate decsions I will come back to you however it is some control box that will allow a Hotel group to use there exsiting TV set up with the addition of this new controller it is clear that it will show up as keyboard in the HID so as you mentioned then the keypad component should allow us to use APP Developer ,

It was just my thinking, if we could use a standard custom HID funtion some how sending 64Bytes and receiving 64bytes of data over HID (similar as mikroElectronika HID allows the user to create and geneated a descriptor for it) it would allow us to connect APP developer to many different controllers and appliactions

Once I have more about this specific project I will ask help and advise :D