Pi PICO CAN MCP2512

Use this section to discuss your embedded Flowcode projects.
jay_dee
http://meble-kuchenne.info.pl

Pi PICO CAN MCP2512

Post by jay_dee »

Hi,
Pi PICO project all generally working fine but I cannot get the MCP2515 CAN controller to respond.

I have now reduced everything to simplified Flowcode and just a Pi PICO plugged into a Waveshare Pico specific CAN board, just to get a working CAN example.
So everything should be 3V3 compatible etc.. but still no CAN.

The PICO can be seen to be outputting SPI Data, CS, MOSI, CLK, MISO etc.. but the MCP2515 does not respond.
I have tried multiple bits of MCP2515 hardware and even tested them by driving with an old ECIO40P, so I dont think it is a hardware failure at this point.
Crystal looks good.

I have now got to bit of a loss.
Has anyone got Pi PICO and a MCP2515 working? or got an example with CAN component settings.
I was using the SPI component before the CAN initiaise so I could adjsut SPI settings but no luck as yet! :?
TECI_PICO_CAN_Test_Waveshare.fcfx
(64.86 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
any thoughts?
Thanks, J.

jay_dee

Re: Pi PICO CAN MCP2512

Post by jay_dee »

Hi, just a brief updtae. I found the error, incompatible voltage levels between chips.
The Software side is working fine using Hardware SPI0 to communicate with the MCP2515.
The MCP2515 is now being run from the PICO's 3v3, thus Hi and Lo signal threshold are consitantly met. The CAN tranciever is still running on the mainboards 5V rail and this setup seems to work fine.