Programming a bare board Arduino 328 (UNO)

Use this section to discuss your embedded Flowcode projects.
samwane
http://meble-kuchenne.info.pl

Programming a bare board Arduino 328 (UNO)

Post by samwane »

Hi,
I've built a bare board Arduino with bootloader as in http://www.gammon.com.au/breadboard
It programs ok using Arduino IDE (needs to be set to board LilyPad)
I'm trying to program it using Flowcode (ver 9), however, the Avrdude programmer throws an error along the lines of 'Chip check failed', use -F to skip.
I assume it is checking the chip type and this throws a mismatch.
the chip is an Arduino UNO IC, Atmega 328. I have tried Programmer options for UNO and Lilypad etc
Any ideas on how to get around this? preferably without changing the programming .bat file as this requires Admin credentials and I'm trying to configure an entire class of computers for undergraduate use.
Thanks in advance,
Sam

Steve-Matrix
Matrix Staff

Re: Programming a bare board Arduino 328 (UNO)

Post by Steve-Matrix »

Do you get the error when selecting "Arduino LilyPad 328" as the target device? That file uses the ATMEGA328 chip.

If that fails to solve the issue, then here's what I would try to get an understanding of what is going on:
  • Make a note of the command line that is launching avrdude from Flowcode
  • Open a command prompt in the folder of your Flowcode project file
  • Run that command line at the command prompt and confirm you are getting the same results
  • Add -v somewhere in the command line to get verbose output - that may give more info on what is going on
  • Add -F to force the chip to be programmed and see if that works
The verbose output may show what the target device actually is. If it is different to the one being passed then try to use a target device that matches the chip in Flowcode.

If the force works then I think you will need to edit the appropriate batch file and add that to the command line.

If this doesn't help, then please post your .msg.txt file generated by Flowcode and also any additional output from the -v and -F parameters as that might help solve the issue.

samwane

Post by samwane »

Thank you.
I have solved it. I decided to use a crystal on the 328 IC so it 'appears' as a genuine Arduino UNO. That solved the checking issue.
I understand your points above and may use in future IC development.
Thanks for your time in replying,
Regards
Sam

Steve-Matrix
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve-Matrix »

Great - glad you solved it.