Project Non Starter...

For general Flowcode discussion that does not belong in the other sections.
chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
http://meble-kuchenne.info.pl

Project Non Starter...

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

I was approached by someone, he or she, had a desire to "spoof" a cellphone GPS tracker. Many options out there that would basically block the signal, but not so much what he or she wanted and they had no desire for any "app" or such like. The phone must work as intended with the tracking/locating software.

Ideally a little "black box" that you could use to "capture" a position, say for example your work, then when switched on would tell your cellphone incorrect positioning details. You can now be wherever, but black box is telling your phone you are still at work.

I can guess reasons why this could be desirable for someone...... and in theory not too much of a challenge to implement. I did say in theory...

However after looking into this for all of about a minute, the penalties imposed pretty much globally (except the usual suspect), suggest that if I sold one, I'd not see daylight for many a year, financially ruined, and pretty much the same for owning one let alone actually using it......

I think this emphasises the damage a rogue signal can do nowadays. Say you are now trying to cross the Forth Bridge in a driverless bus (coz apparently there is a great desire to do so) and I board with my spoofer. A watery grave for us all awaits if the "emergency" driver is reading his paper or more likely tucking into a deep fried Mars bar....

Just wondering what else, if under the effect of unregulated signals, has similar potential?

Off now to definitely NOT build a spoofer.

Regards

kersing
Valued Contributor

Re: Project Non Starter...

Post by kersing »

Smart phones in developer mode allow(ed) setting the position, so there is(/was) no need for such a gadget.

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

I've never really played with cellphones and see there are apps out there that can do this for you (and can even create a trail), but I guess the issue is that apps need to be installed and therefore are visible to anyone using the phone, which may mean awkward questions.

On one of my androids I see an option under developer mode, but it then informs that there are no mock location apps, so I guess this option also needs further apps?

It's not something I'm particularly fussed about and I have my suspicions as to why this person may want at times to appear "here" rather than "there", but transmitting an alternative location locally is not the way to go (even if your phone says you're already there <s>)

Regards

steve001
Valued Contributor

Post by steve001 »

Afternoon,

you can still get tracked by by the cellular network even if your location is set to off.
They use a triangulation method(s) by the phone registering with the mast's (several) to detect the phone and narrow down the location, this also works with masts that you are not registered with.

i.e a BT mast can still see a EE phone.
This is where the make an emergency call comes to play when you have no network coverage.

So they still have a good idea of your whereabouts ... :roll:

Steve

kersing
Valued Contributor

Post by kersing »

The proper authorities have access to triangulation information, in most countries only after a judge allows them to request it. Joe Average will not be able to get his hands on that kind of information.

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

I made that clear to the person at the time, that the network has logs, which did not bother them at all. They didn't care about that because as Kersing says "Joe Public" isn't getting their hands on that info. I can only suspect what a device that tells a phone running some tracking app it is elsewhere, with no trace of such spoofing on the actual phone, could be used for.

I believe years ago technicians working on celltowers in the UK "discovered" certain aircraft on maneuvers....

Regards