Installation

For general Flowcode discussion that does not belong in the other sections.
chrisd958
http://meble-kuchenne.info.pl

Installation

Post by chrisd958 »

We have a number of laptop PCs with FlowCode v9 but a few users have said they had issues with toolchains. They installed AVR Toolchain (to use with Arduino Shield BL0055) and programmed the boards. However, when they next use Flowcode (a few days later), it says the toolchains aren't installed.

Most of the PCs already had Arduino IDE installed and so they have USB drivers already. If USB drivers are needed but Arduino IDE is not installed, will the USB drivers get installed using EBlock2 drivers (or are these only for Ghost debugging)?

Steve-Matrix
Matrix Staff

Re: Installation

Post by Steve-Matrix »

That seems strange. The installation routine for the AVR toolchain will add location information in the current user's HKCU registry settings, which are then picked-up by Flowcode. If the toolchain is installed via a different account then it will not be 'seen' by Flowcode. Perhaps this is the issue?

The location of the toolchains can be seen in the "Locations" tab of the "Global Options" page and can be manually edited there, so a full reinstall of the toolchain is not required.

Regarding the drivers, see here: https://www.flowcode.co.uk/faq/?a=03

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Hi Chris,
I have not heard of PC's that work ok then a few days late states Toolchain is not installed.
When the Toolchains are installed, it is best to have all flowcharts closed as the setting retained is always from the last flowchart to be closed.
After the Toolchains are installed then Run Flowcode (withing creating or opening a project, Click on Global settings...
check within the Locations tab for the AVR entry, you have

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files (x86)\Flowcode\Common\Compilers\avrv5\ 
for example.
Is the Toolchain on the local drive or a shared drive?

As for USB drivers.
The Dip versions should not require drivers.
The SMD versions will require CH340 drivers which you can get from here.
The Eblock2 drivers are not for the Arduino, but for matrix products which do indeed include hardware that has Ghost for debugging.

Edit: when posting I have had a message stating:
At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this.
Therefore my information could be a repeat of the last post?
Martin

chrisd958

Post by chrisd958 »

Thanks Steve, Thanks Martin,

I have to say I wonder if the users are using different PCs to before (i.e. different windows accounts) ... or were you refering to flowcode accounts?

I see the arduino driver zip file has contents dated 2015 but it doesn't say which file should be selected to install for arduino UNO R3 PDIP. Would that be [arduino.inf] or should we use [dpinst-x86.exe] for Win 10: the readme file doesn't say?

Best wishes.

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Your welcome.
chrisd958 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:58 pm
I have to say I wonder if the users are using different PCs to before (i.e. different windows accounts) ... or were you refering to flowcode accounts?
If different window accounts, that would cause an issue until the path is added within global options.

The x86 would be for 32bit windows.
If drivers are required, I would recommend the latest versions.
I have found that PDIP version works with windows 10 since it uses ATMega8u2 serial to USB.
You can check by looking at the device manager.
You should see a com port that disappears when the Arduino is unplugged.
For non-dip is CH340 for the clones and FTDI for the older non-clones , I believe.
Martin