ssd1322 speed of display

For general Flowcode discussion that does not belong in the other sections.
Maverick
http://meble-kuchenne.info.pl

ssd1322 speed of display

Post by Maverick »

Can anyone advise if the speed of text writing shown in attached video (in zip file) is normal for a 3 wire spi SSD1322 oled display, if not is there a way to speed it up, am I doing something wrong in the code, processor is a pic running supposedly @ 32Mhz. Simulation runs a bit faster. fcfx file attached
Attachments
ssd1322_font_test_2.fcfx
(19.01 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
ssd1322_speed.zip
(2.21 MiB) Downloaded 51 times

BenR
Matrix Staff

Re: ssd1322 speed of display

Post by BenR »

Hello,

Thanks for the video, the speed there doesn't look normal. My guess is the device is not running at the speed you think it is. You can confirm this using the 1 second flasher test.

You shouldn't need the initial line of C code on that device, it should default to 32MHz so I wonder if that's causing a problem, even though the value it's setting is correct.

If the 1 second flasher test runs as expected then let us know and I'll check the component doesn't contain some unexpected delays in the 3-wire SPI mode.

Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Hi Ben
ran the 1s led flasher, I think flowcode is fine.
i set the clock at 1mhz and 32mhz, 1mz flashed very quickly while 32mhz was 1s as shown in attached video
Attachments
1s_led.zip
(1.64 MiB) Downloaded 50 times

BenR
Matrix Staff

Post by BenR »

Hello,

I've now added a new property to the display component called Clock Delay which when set to 0 should remove the delays from the output clock. Hopefully this will have an effect. If this helps but is still slow then I can think of another way to potentially make things a bit quicker for you.

Maverick

Post by Maverick »

HI Ben

it has speeded it up, not sure it's running at max speed , I will get a colleague to try a similar program not from flow code to compare.
It would interesting on your other idea, but it's not a priority as I'm going with a 2 x 24 lcd (as I need to get the project finished). would going 4 wire possibly help? I cannot go parallel as I don't have enough pins available. I also notice that although I have an initialise display and clear display at the beginning of code, the screen does not clear before writing text when the code is run from the micro . which doesn't improve inserting a delay after the clear screen
I have a SSD1306 which I try as a comparison

Maverick

Post by Maverick »

I have slightly modded the fcfx (attached) to add a delay after the clear screen and set it to loop continuously. in the simulator it works fine, but programmed into a chip it doesn't as shown in attached video
Attachments
ssd1322_font_test_2.fcfx
(19.75 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
screen_1.zip
(2.01 MiB) Downloaded 50 times

BenR
Matrix Staff

Post by BenR »

Hello,

I've had a go at fixing the clear problem and I've also applied my additional speed boost now so hopefully it will be a bit faster still.

The 4-wire SPI will be faster again yes as each byte sent will be one less clock cycle that has to be sent to the display. For each pixel we write we currently have to send 9 bytes to the display so a single clock in each byte might make a big difference.