ESP32: IDF-5.1 recommended version?

For general Flowcode discussion that does not belong in the other sections.
chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
http://meble-kuchenne.info.pl

Re: ESP32: IDF-5.1 recommended version?

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi Ben / Martin

4.2 ran fine with the GIT/ Python I mentioned on my 8.1 machine and I had no trouble installing it ages ago. Problems started when I attempted to upgrade to 5.1.

I am in no way suggesting FC is at fault or your guides, but with the benefit of hindsight I think it would be prudent to warn that if you are using a pre W10 OS, and I'm sure many still are,then it is probably best not to bother "upgrading".

I have W10 desktops, one has v5.x installed and during that process I followed and updated as per the guide "the other" Martin provided. Not without issues and eventually resolved by clean install of everything including running a registry cleaner. The other machine hasn't had any idf installed before so I may give that a try.

Before giving up last night I found that v4.1 would install without failing during the process, but I still had issues when compiling, slightly different to documented.

I then did a further Restore from around two weeks ago, which did help a bit with my speed issues, but the machine is still slow and the esp issues are still as documented a post or so above.

This machine runs software that isn't compatible with W10 so upgrading it isn't an option for me. Not a fan of the tiles either but generally speaking it has been a very reliable machine for me.

I don't use ESP32 all that often, mainly as I seem to always either have issues with the boards or software, so I don't really have an exact date of when problems started. Was there any component update that could have caused issue with the version I was using?

Regards

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

As per previous, my W8.1 machine is broken as far as ESP is concerned. Attempting to update to v5.1 threw not just a spanner but the whole toolbox into the works.

Ever the glutten for punishment I decided to take another working machine (of sorts) and try and get it running 5.1.

This W10 machine was running the recommended Python / Git and idf v5.0.x (from some months ago) but as in a previous post it would not "upgrade" to 5.1 using Bens' "shortcut" so I uninstalled the idf and started again.

Although running the recommended Git/Python it failed to install numerous times citing everything you could think on and more. After uninstalling Git and Python and running a registry cleaner it seemed to go better, installing those as it went, however although getting further it failed fetching some components and suggested the use of an offline installer. Downloading and using that it did successfully complete the installation.

However I still can't compile. It fails saying something about "can't find python / it wasn't installed as part of esp shell " blah blah try installing idf again or something along those lines. Cold and losing the will to live I gave up. So if you have ever had the idf installed, upgrading even by trying a clean install, isn't plain sailing. Incidentally Python is installed....

Regards

mnfisher
Valued Contributor

Post by mnfisher »

I managed to upgrade to 5.1 and it took a bit of fiddling to get it going....

I've just downgraded to v4.1 after hitting a bug (4.1 didn't fix). So I'll try and document my steps upgrading and hopefully you'll be able to get up and running again soon....

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi Martin

That would be appreciated.

I do want to make clear that I am not criticising or blaming Flowcode/Matrix in any way for the problems I've faced. I was particularly unimpressed that on my W8.1 machine, versions of v4.x that happily installed without any concern following the guides, now throw up warnings about my OS. This is "new" so it appears something(s) within the idf has changed.

When next in the Evil Lab with some time to spare I will uninstall everything again on that W10 and run the offline installer to see what happens then.

Regards

mnfisher
Valued Contributor

Post by mnfisher »

It went more smoothly this time around.

So using an existing program that compiles under 4.1 (actually I'd changed the target to Arduino - and forgotten - but it didn't cause too much trouble)

Note I've installed several esp toolsets and they are in their default locations - so C:\espressif\frameworks\esp-idf-v5.1.1 for 5.1 etc.

1) Fire up a command prompt (Windows key - command (this used to be cmd - but this is the default windows command NOT the esp4.1 or esp5.1 cmd prompt)

2) cd to the project directory (in this case it was on my ramdisk so I do
r:
cd ILI9488_SSPI

3) Run the following python script (notepad++ - and copy and paste the following and save to the same directory)

Code: Select all

#!python3
import os

cmds = ["git fetch",  "git checkout release/v5.1", "git pull",  "git submodule update -f --init --recursive", "install.bat", "python tools/idf_tools.py uninstall"]

os.chdir("C:/espressif/frameworks/esp-idf-v5.1.1")
for cmd in cmds:
    os.system(cmd)
I saved as v5.py. (#!python3 must be the first line - no space / comments etc)

Type v5.py

This then runs (a couple of mins)

4) Then type

C:\espressif\frameworks\esp-idf-v5.1.1\export -- should set paths correctly
idf.py fullclean
idf.py build

(Here I hit the issue of AVR/io.h not found !)

Then fire up FC. Set the location of the esp toolset to C:\espressif\frameworks\esp-idf-v5.1.1 (or your directory - note that this must be same as in the python script - but the \ dividers are changed to / (or \\) in the python

Should now be able to compile and upload from FC

Good luck!

Martin

mnfisher
Valued Contributor

Post by mnfisher »

And my woes - if any one has any suggestions....

I tried to get a ILI9488 display running on esp32 (and failed :-( ) So I tweaked the component to use transactions and still nothing (and looking at the SPI output on scope - there didn't seem to be much activity on the clock pin - though MOSI looked good)

I had an error about SPI_TX_BUF must be NULL thrown in 5.1 - hence the downgrade to 4.1 (no joy) and then to Arduino...

Having changed to use Uno and I can't even upload a program - avrdude throwing up it's arms when it comes to uploading

So still nothing on the display and a little frustrated!

So I laser cut some wood (plywood) and as it was cold did it inside.... So doghouse for me as everywhere now smells strongly of smoke (though it's starting to fade a little and more like ''heavy' joss-stick addict...

Martin

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Hi Martin.
Ben and I looked at ILI9488 on Friday (8th Dec) and there was an issue with ESP32 (testing with IDF5.1) when the queue Fast Pixels was set to No.
This was fixed and pushed on Friday.
We then had a fully working ILI948 display.

The issue I found when monitoring the Analyser is I had to lower the Prescale to 2MHz or incorrect data/clock was displayed.

Depending on your setup i.e. PC/USB/analyser speed etc you might be able to monitor at a faster speed ,but for a sanity sake, best to start low and then gradually increase speed to see when the waveform is no longer correct.
I'm talking in general terms and not specifically your setup.

In theory the scope should have a higher bandwidth than the analyser, but its something to take into account, e.g. long scope wires, stray capacity etc.
Martin

mnfisher
Valued Contributor

Post by mnfisher »

Thanks Martin,

I'll try again with the component - it was my first (and hopefully my last) port of call.

Using the logic analyser 'end' of a SmartScope - and the idea was to go 'slow' with the Arduino..

Any good suggestions for the burning smell :-(

Martin

kersing
Valued Contributor

Post by kersing »

mnfisher wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:52 pm

So I laser cut some wood (plywood) and as it was cold did it inside.... So doghouse for me as everywhere now smells strongly of smoke (though it's starting to fade a little and more like ''heavy' joss-stick addict...
IKEA has FÖRNUFTIG, an air purifier. You will need the active carbon filter with it. It’s quite effective in my experience.
(Won’t be able to keep up with a working laser cutter!)

mnfisher
Valued Contributor

Post by mnfisher »

Neutradol++

Next time I'm south ill have a look in ikea though - need a soldering fumes extractor on steroids...