ESP-IdF V5.12 problem

For general Flowcode discussion that does not belong in the other sections.
stefan.erni
Valued Contributor
http://meble-kuchenne.info.pl

Re: ESP-IdF V5.12 problem

Post by stefan.erni »

Hi Martin

I have deleted everything, except the program file .fcfx.
I can compile....
When I start idf.py menuconfig it gives the message I should run an
idf.py fullclean

I did it and then I can open the (new) menu and change the BT.

When I am finished I save with control s.

Now I have to do another idf.py fullclean , then it compiles again (without that, no compiling possible.)

But the BT still does not work. When I search with the PC or Iphone, Bt it finds nothing.

stefan.erni
Valued Contributor

Post by stefan.erni »

Hi to All

So, it was not possible to use BT SPP with the ESP32-WROOM-32E Modul.
With the Python 3.7 and an older ESP-IDF version Bluetooth is working again.
I hope that soon Bluetooth will work with the ESP-IDF 5.12 and Python 3.11 and that BLE will also be supported in the future.
regards

Stefan

MJU20

Post by MJU20 »

stefan.erni wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:02 am
Hi to All

So, it was not possible to use BT SPP with the ESP32-WROOM-32E Modul.
With the Python 3.7 and an older ESP-IDF version Bluetooth is working again.
I hope that soon Bluetooth will work with the ESP-IDF 5.12 and Python 3.11 and that BLE will also be supported in the future.
regards

Stefan
Me too!

MJU20

Post by MJU20 »

Could somebody please check the guys at Matrix if they are alright? :D

It's been a while since the last update (from a Matrix staff member) about this problem.
A quick signal from the Matrix when you get a chance would be greatly appreciated.

Steve-Matrix
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve-Matrix »

Yes - we're ok here at Matrix. We're a small team though and there are a lot of other projects being worked on.

I plan to look into BLE at some point soon.

Regarding the wider issue of the ESP toolchain, we are aware of the problems when this is updated. Unfortunately, we are not in control of this toolchain and so it is difficult for us to provide a solution. I am personally still using v4.4 because that is working well for my projects. I know if I try to update the toolchain, then it could break my current projects.

I will try to find time to create a test-bed on another PC so I can try to make this new ESP toolchain work, although I do not have that actual module to test with and so I will be limited in what I can do.

MJU20

Post by MJU20 »

Steve-Matrix wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:21 am
Yes - we're ok here at Matrix. We're a small team though and there are a lot of other projects being worked on.

I plan to look into BLE at some point soon.

Regarding the wider issue of the ESP toolchain, we are aware of the problems when this is updated. Unfortunately, we are not in control of this toolchain and so it is difficult for us to provide a solution. I am personally still using v4.4 because that is working well for my projects. I know if I try to update the toolchain, then it could break my current projects.

I will try to find time to create a test-bed on another PC so I can try to make this new ESP toolchain work, although I do not have that actual module to test with and so I will be limited in what I can do.
Thank you Steve,

I know you are very busy, but that is also a double-edged sword.
I've been watching the Flowcode/ESP IDF topic for a while and tried to upgrade to the latest version of the toolchain.
This way I could buy a ESP licence for my version of Flowcode and start using other types of ESP32 that aren't available in the free version.

Now you tell me that the latest version of the toolchain isn't working yet and maybe the other versions of the ESP32 might not work in the previous version of the toolchain?
I might need to downgrade the toolchain again? :cry:

Steve-Matrix
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve-Matrix »

Other users may be able to answer this better. I personally do not use the ESP toolchain much and so have used that toolchain only in a limited way.

Also, the toolchain is not ours and so is not under our control, which makes it difficult - especially when there are so many dependencies and versions kicking around.

I have it in my plans to look into this soon.

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

My experiences with the ESP toolchain is well documented in the forum and I don't envy Matrix in trying to stay abreast of an uneven playing field with moving goalposts. A bit of a quagmire really (gigitty gigitty), Feel free to add in any other analogy.

Espressif have a habit of changing / deprecating things. What worked in Vx may now not work in Vy unless toolchains are replaced.

Maybe because initially I bought "cheap" modules with disappointing results I've not really given them a fair chance as I see others doing great with them. Modules from more reputable sources did perform as expected and when I did mange to upgrade to v5.1x on another machine I could use a greater range of chips / modules. However that was only using quite basic functionality and not Bluetooth.

Intend getting a new laptop soon and not looking forward to re-entering this rabbit hole again.

Regards

MJU20

Post by MJU20 »

I don't envy them either, but when I look at the product-range of Matrix multimedia, it seems that they do a lot of stuff besides Flowcode.
Is it inappropriate to suggest that they should better focus on a few thing instead of 20 (or so)?

Maybe the team that does the hardware isn't the same as the software guys, but maybe focus more on things they really consider their core business.

Just a suggestion :D

BenR
Matrix Staff

Post by BenR »

maybe focus more on things they really consider their core business.
:lol: I wish it were that simple.

I think the problem here is if we did this we would have been out of business years ago when multimedia CD ROMs became a thing of the past thanks to the internet, and again when Arduino came onto the scene.

One of the mains reasons we can have a big diverse portfolio of products and stay competitive is by and large thanks to Flowcode and our embedded expertise and so that's very much why we focus a lot of time and attention on this. Unfortunatley if we primarily focused all of our attention on Flowcode then it by itself would likely not be a commercially viable product again thanks to free open source competition like Arduino.

Saying this we have our niche and are doing reasonably well and so should be around for a long time to come.

Bluetooth in the latest IDF is on my list and I hope to getting around to it very soon.