Flowcode v9.2 released

For general Flowcode discussion that does not belong in the other sections.
Steve-Matrix
Matrix Staff
http://meble-kuchenne.info.pl

Flowcode v9.2 released

Post by Steve-Matrix »

A new core update to Flowcode v9 has just been released.

Most users will be asked to install this update when you launch Flowcode. If you are not offered the update, please ensure "Check for core updates on launch" is ticked in the "Application" tab of Flowcode's Global Settings.

This v9.2 release includes the following major changes to the core files:
  • PICO toolchain and licensing support
  • Improvements to stability of XY graph
  • App Developer simulation speed has been doubled
  • Snap-to-grid improvements on 2d panel
  • Help and Forum panels now accessible when modal dialogs are open
  • Multi-user licensing mechanism improved
  • Simulation can now begin from any macro (not just 'main')
  • Watch variables can be formatted individually (hex, decimal, binary, standard form)
  • The Built-in Function UI message box fixes
  • State diagram transitions within components are linked properly prior to compilation and simulation
Here is a more complete list of core file changes since v9.1:
  • Added PICO support (toolchain location and licensing)
  • The XY graph component is much more stable
  • App Developer simulation speed doubled (should now be a little faster than main exe simulation)
  • MPLABX location now retrieved for 64bit and 32bit installation types
  • Snap-to-grid improvements on 2d panel
  • Built-in Functions and Event trees now open as collapsed
  • Gdi object visibility should now iterate through to subcomponents too
  • Improved multibyte support to allow '£' (etc.) on panel
  • Help and Forum panels now accessible when a modal dialog is opened
  • 3d primitives now available on the component toolbar; 2d (i.e. gdi) primitives remain hidden
  • Changing chip in project now should be much quicker
  • Activation for single-user licences now requires no admin elevation
  • Minor ICD improvements
  • Execution icons change colour when in ICD mode
  • Component search results retained between sessions
  • Variable conflict message improved when importing macros
  • Watch formats can be specified using suffixes (',x', ',d', ',b', and ',e')
  • Simulation window now displays correctly on high DPI monitors
  • Embedded-only icons are show (but disabled) in App Developer mode (to ensure they remain on the QAT when changing modes)
  • Selection arrows disappear when 2d objects are dragged to 3d panel
  • Group and Ungroup on panel now uses Ctrl-G and Ctrl-U
  • Built-in Functions can now be searched for via List Occurrences
  • SerialDLL <ScanForDevices> now works for all COM ports (not just USB)
  • Top-level 2d-only components now forced to show on 2d panel
  • Subcomponents that are 2d-only are not shown if the top-level component is on the 3d panel
  • Fixed ICD issue where a disabled loop could cause problems when ICD stepping
  • The UI Built-in Functions (message boxes) no longer cause UI lockup
  • Rewrite of multi-user educational licensing mechanism to improve experience for admins
  • Corrected display of licence type in 'View Licences' screen
  • Integer array initialisers now simulate correctly when non-decimal formats (e.g. {0x2F, 0b101, ‘X’} are used
  • Simulation can now begin from current macro (instead of from 'main') to allow unit testing of code
  • Top-level property variables now listed in Project Explorer
  • Property variable occurrences can now be listed via right-click menu
  • Simulation icons different when in ICD mode
  • Main form and tear-off window caption bar text now consistent
  • Double-clicking Component Macros and Built-in Functions will add them to the current flowchart insertion point
  • Fixed text resizing when changing the zoom level of state diagrams
  • Added a state diagram text size property in global variables
  • Delay commands now simulate correctly when inside components
  • Image export of 2d panel now traps when it fails because the panel has not been opened
  • 'List occurrences' now correctly searches for the property variable name from within Component Properties
  • Blocking UI dialog Built-in Function calls no longer crash when used within a component
  • State diagram transitions within components are linked properly prior to compilation and simulation
  • Template files can now be downloaded and updated as part of library updates
  • Context help now works properly when wiki pane is docked (it asks to undock the pane)
Also remember that there are ongoing fixes and improvements to the library files (e.g. components and chip definitions) that can be downloaded using the "library updates" button.

If anyone has problems downloading or running this update, or has questions about any of the updates, please let us know by replying to this thread.

And finally, a big thank you to VCs who have supported us in getting this release ready!

Dlange

Re: Flowcode v9.2 released

Post by Dlange »

Hi, I was testing the RP2040 in simulation and was trying to use an interrupt on a timer with the resolution of 1 second. I was using the interrupt to increment a variable, I converted the number to a string and sent it to a console. Everything was functioning but the speed was very fast as the count updated, nowhere near the second that I expected. I’m I thinking about this in the wrong way? I tried every timer with the interrupt properties set to Value = 1 and Resolution set to seconds, is this the correct way to get an interrupt every second?
Thanks!

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Hi, Dlange.
Simulation timing is not accurate at all.
So you can't rely on 1 second being just that.
It's a totally different matter for hardware as that will be one second using a timer interrupt.
One second will be one second, assuming the hardware is set up correctly along with the configuration settings.
Martin

Dlange

Post by Dlange »

Thanks for the feedback, I will try real hardware next, :D

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi Steve

On this machine I'm running W7 and I updated from within Flowcode. Upon restart everything looked OK but when I clicked on "Build" the program froze with a warning of an unrecoverable problem. I had to use Task Manager to close.

Thinking it might be a simple screw up someplace I uninstalled FC9, rebooted, ran a registry cleaner, rebooted and downloaded FC from the website. Unfortunately when I again click on Build I crash with the same warning (attached)

Any ideas? I'm guessing I'll need to uninstall and mess with registry more than a cleaner can (I'm OK with that as long as I know what I am supposed to mess about with :) )

Regards
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (91.94 KiB) Viewed 6325 times

Steve-Matrix
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve-Matrix »

I'm not sure what this problem could be. Is it just the "build" button that causes this?

There could maybe be a registry corruption of the Flowcode data. You could try deleting the registry info contained here:

Code: Select all

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MatrixTSL\FlowcodeV9
You will need to re-enter your username and password to re-activate your licence when you restart Flowcode.

Please let me know how you get on...

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi Steve

I can click on Component Libraries etc without issue. Just seems to be with Build.

I'll try as you suggest and revert.

Thanks.

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi Steve

Deleted the registry info.
Uninstalled
Ran registry cleaner
rebooted
ran registry cleaner (no issues)
Checked registry (no entries)
Reinstalled from download
Reentered user info
FC9 started

Still the same problem. I can click on File / Edit / View / Command etc but when I click on build, kaboom!

Regards

Steve-Matrix
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve-Matrix »

Unfortunately, I don't have a Win7 PC available to test and I can't replicate the issue. But I have some more questions to ask...
  1. Does the same happen when you select "new project" and when you open an existing project?
  2. Is it the same when creating a new embedded project and a new App Developer project?
  3. What about when creating new projects of different target devices - do they all have the same issue, or does it happen with only certain targets?

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi Steve

The last attempt above I created a new embedded project using one of the free chips (877a I think). The very first attempt was when I opened an existing project (16lf1939). No indication anything was wrong in any of the above until I clicked on build.

I haven't tried app developer or trying any other "new" chip, but being honest I think the issue will still be there.

Perhaps later I'll do a system restore and see if I can recover to a previous time.

Regards