Installing FlowcodeV9

For general Flowcode discussion that does not belong in the other sections.
bill2003
http://meble-kuchenne.info.pl

Installing FlowcodeV9

Post by bill2003 »

I have ordered and paid for a Raspberry Pi version of Flowcode and have been trying to install the main program called FlowcodeV9_Installer.msi as I assume that this is installed first before the Raspberry Pi version called Flowcode_Compiler_RPI.msi
I have tried five times to get the FlowcodeV9 to install and every time, I finally get the message that the installation was interrupted and I end up with nothing installed. I am using Windows 10 with the latest updates. I have tried disabling my Norton Anti Virus whilst attempting to install the program and have also download another version of FlowcodeV9 in the hope that the first download was faulty. I still can't install the program. I paid for this on Friday and thought that I might actually get a piece of software that would work. It doesn't as I can't even install the basic system on my computer.
What am I or the program doing wrongly and how do I actually get it to work?
Bill Coombes

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Re: Installing FlowcodeV9

Post by medelec35 »

Hi Bill.
Welcome to the Flowcode forums.
I can't promise to resolve this, but I will do my best.
That normally occurs when the installer is not allowed to have User Account Control (UAC) on your PC.
E.g not installing in Administration mode, Not selected Yes to a UAC request.
The reason being you may have not seen the UAC pop up.
If UAC is not granted then it will always state installation was interrupted
It may be a third party that's causing that?
Although you stated you have disabled AV, could a part of the AV still be trying to protect your PC from software Admin control?
Could the firewall part be stopping UAC?
I have Comodo firewall and as good as it is, that can so stop parts of the software from working during install.
I have just downloaded and installed V9 again to check there are no issues with it.
It was installed with no issues at all on the latest 64bit windows 10.
The file has a CRC32 of 67239f20.
You can check your version via HashCalc from SlavaSoft.
You can then see if your version is being corrupted when downloading?
Martin

bill2003

Post by bill2003 »

Hello,
Thanks for your advice but I am still getting nowhere with installing Flowcode 9. The Checksum is correct and I used the program you suggested. I am logged in as the Administrator but that makes no difference. I have checked that the UAC is working and tick the correct box when it comes up but all I get is the message that says that the installation was interrupted.
I have tried at least 10 times today and have got nowhere. I have a 64 bit computer but the download does not give me an option to select a 64 bit version of the program so I assume that it downloads the correct version or it doesn't matter.
I am now at the stage where I am going to have to try and get a refund as the program is unusable as I can't even install the basic package. It's a real pity as the software looks to be exactly what I wanted.
Why don't they produce an .exe file instead of the .msi file. With a .exe, I can select to run as an administrator during the installation.
I really now don't know what to do and I do consider myself computer literate.
Thanks for your help,
Bill

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Hi Bill.
As Flowcode installs for loads of other people OK, it will be something to do with your PC rather than Flowcode.
Steve will know about this more than I do as he really knows about the software side.
I will email him and point him to this topic.
Flowcode is worth keeping, I'm so glad I did.
32 bit is correct for Windows 64, there is only one version.
Martin

Steve-Matrix
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve-Matrix »

Hi Bill,

It definitely sounds like something unusual is happening on your PC to prevent this installation. My first suggestion is to reboot into Windows Safe Mode and then attempt the install. Please try this as a starting point and let me know how you get on. In the meantime, I will do a bit of digging to see if I can find any cause for the problem you are having.

Regards,
Steve.

Steve-Matrix
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve-Matrix »

bill2003 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:52 pm
Why don't they produce an .exe file instead of the .msi file. With a .exe, I can select to run as an administrator during the installation.
It's relatively simple to run an MSI as an admin - you need to do it via an elevated command prompt (use Windows search bar to locate cmd.exe and then right-click that and select "run as admin". Then run the msi from there).

FYI, we use MSIs because admins of larger organisations prefer these as they make roll-out easier on larger networks.

Steve-Matrix
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve-Matrix »

Hi Bill,

One more from me... If it's still not working, then we should be able to determine the exact cause of the installation failure by producing a log of the installation attempt. This will also be valuable for anyone else experiencing a similar issue in the future, so it is well worth doing if you can afford the time.

To produce a log, run something similar to the following line from a command prompt:

Code: Select all

msiexec.exe /i <path to msi file> /l*vx C:\MyFolder\FCLog.txt
where "<path to msi file>" is the full path to the downloaded msi file (right-click the downloaded msi while holding down the shift key and select 'copy as path' - this will copy it to the clipboard). Note also that the "FCLog.txt" location specified (e.g. "C:\MyFolder") needs to be somewhere that your user account has read/write access to.

If you do this and then post the "FCLog.txt" file here then we should be able to determine the cause of the problem.

Regards,
Steve.