Flowcode Panels - Sizing Overhaul

Post here to discuss any new features, components, chips, etc, that you would like to see in Flowcode.
Brendan
http://meble-kuchenne.info.pl

Flowcode Panels - Sizing Overhaul

Post by Brendan »

A number of editing panels don't maintain persistent resizing (e.g. Variables list that collapses to a narrow column on opening FC each time).

Some windows in panels remain a percentage width of the parent panel that they're in, rather than being able to drag borders to suit user preferences and editing requirements.

It would be great to see an overhaul of the GUI panels/windows for convenience and workflow.

Other suggestions...

Custom-colouring of macro icons in the project explorer window, so that you can quickly identify macros needing attention or under development (etc..etc).

'Relevance' option text that can be attached to custom icon colours, allowing users to search for "Debug", "Needs Testing", etc., complimenting the 'Where Used' feature. I'd also like to see the 'no gradient' option persistent unless changed ;)

A simple editable unlimited text page icon at the top of the explorer window, allowing users to quickly add/review their own project notes/reminders/comments/source links/etc.

A 'constant' that provides the current project filename, for use in the program flow - such as to dynamically report source file version info to the connected host/screen/etc., optionally in conjunction with the timestamp Auto Version Identifier component.

Many thanks,
Brendan

Steve-Matrix
Matrix Staff

Re: Flowcode Panels - Sizing Overhaul

Post by Steve-Matrix »

Some good suggestions here and I will see if we can add them to a future Flowcode release.

I'm not sure if you use it, but I find the new "TODO" feature of v10 really useful as a reminder of what is needed during project development. A large comment icon starting with "TODO:" can be used at the top of each macro you are working on, and individual areas that require attention can have their own comments.

Brendan

Re: Flowcode Panels - Sizing Overhaul

Post by Brendan »

Thank you Steve - Greatly appreciated !

If I might just add to this list as I go along (rather than new topic each time), with apologies in advance if covered/mentioned elsewhere...

All array elements automatically and unnecessarily expand in project explorer, pushing down variables in the list:
Often when editing, all arrays in the project explorer automatically and undesirably expand to show all elements and values. I have to keep closing them up each time to avoid having to scroll through hundreds of values should I wish to edit the names/types/etc further down the list. Prevention would eliminate an editing bug-bear if possible (i.e. arrays only expanded if the '+' is intentionally clicked)?

Similar to editable clock speed for FC delays, I propose an editable box for interrupt timer calculations:
Some MCUs (e.g. STM32F, PIC32, etc) present flexible options for clock PLL multiplier and pre/post-scale settings, affecting multiple internal clock buses), whereas FC uses just the declared Xtal frequency. Understandably, it is not practically possible to predict where the timer source is coming from or configured frequency. Users must already declare crystal clock speed (referenced for FC delays) in build options, though an additional/editable box for timer clocks would enable timer interrupt frequency calculations to globally align with unpredictable bus clock configuration options.