can you add an LoRa SX1278 module?

Post here to discuss any new features, components, chips, etc, that you would like to see in Flowcode.
niedian
http://meble-kuchenne.info.pl

Flowcode v10 can you add an LoRa SX1278 module?

Post by niedian »

Hello, can you add an LoRa SX1278 module? Here, it is easier to find the SX1278 module, while the SX1272 module is no longer readily available.

Steve-Matrix
Matrix Staff

Re: can you add an LoRa SX1278 module?

Post by Steve-Matrix »

You could use an SPI Master component to communicate with that device.

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

This question has came up before and you may find some answers in the old forum.

I sort of got involved last year with a couple of these and got them to talk to each other. I think it may have been a v8 project though. From memory the two devices are very similar but there are some differences that can mess things up. You can search the web for datasheets giving the register addresses and function (with examples) and compare the two, but I found it easier to just create from scratch.

The modules are capable of complex transmission, but I just had to send a few bytes between and that wasn't too hard to do.

There are examples in the forum somewhere and I think the WiKi has an example for the 72', which you could use as a frame to build around or see what needs to be done.

Regards

niedian

Post by niedian »

Thank you, Steve-Matrix and chipfryer27. I found that code snippet on the old forum. The program looks quite complex, but I am studying it. Regards.

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

Most of the registers can be left at default, if you just need to get started, and I think I might have an example of basic tx /rx somewhere. Although it did transmit and receive I never took it much further.

If I still have it I'll post. At least you could see how to communicate.

Regards

ayhan1

Post by ayhan1 »

Why is the Flowcode team so reluctant to add lora modules? The most popular modules in the RF field in recent years are lora modules. However, I see that the Flowcode team is reluctant to add new modules. It would be great to add macros for the sx1276, sx1278, LLCC868 modules in addition to the sx1272. Now, under this heading, an explanation is given that you can do it this way. However, with the same logic, there was no need to add a GSM module. Because with the GSM module, we can perform any operation we want with AT commands over the standard RX, TX connection. Therefore, it can be said that there is no need for a separate component for the GSM module. I think the same goes for lora modules.

kersing
Valued Contributor

Post by kersing »

Lora modules are complex and documentation is scarce to non existent. Also timing is critical so implementing components that work well on all controllers is a major investment in time.

There is a LoRaWAN component in development.

BTW, if you search the internet a bit you will find Lora modules that can be used with AT commands as well. RAK3172 and Seeed Wio-e5 for instance.

ayhan1

Post by ayhan1 »

kersing wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:52 am
Lora modules are complex and documentation is scarce to non existent. Also timing is critical so implementing components that work well on all controllers is a major investment in time.

There is a LoRaWAN component in development.

BTW, if you search the internet a bit you will find Lora modules that can be used with AT commands as well. RAK3172 and Seeed Wio-e5 for instance.
Thanks for the quick response. I know the RAK3172 Module. What I mean is to be able to fully use lora modules with flowcode, regardless of the brand. Kind regards.

kersing
Valued Contributor

Post by kersing »

Your request to support all Lora modules regardless of brand is not realistic imho. There are too many out there and as I mentioned, documentation is an issue for most of them. Supporting all would require one person full time work and that is not an option for the current (small) team. Of course if you are willing to fund an additional employee Matrix might be interested…

MJU20

Post by MJU20 »

I have a few projects that use 'long-range-ish' datatransfer.

Not like a few Km's, but for my purpose enough range and reliable.

One I use is E32-868T20D (read about it on the V9 forum), the other one is a HC12 module.
Both are sufficient for my purposes.
Just to send data from one node to each other.

I think that I shared the project with the E32... on the old forum.
There are successor for this LORA-like module. I think that the E32 900t30d is compatible with the E32...20D